Monday, April 17, 2006

Nick, Gene & The Third Booth


some random additions:



Brinsley Schwarz - "(What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love And Understanding" United Artists - 1974

A classic slice of pre-punk British pub-rock, before Elvis Costello drained all the tongue-in-cheek hippie pathos and turned it into a hit. Exceptionally tinny production by Dave Edmunds (I guess the Flamin' Groovies sound was intentional). I love the spoken word "We MUST have peace...".

----



Gene Pitney - "Take It Like A Man" Musicor - 1962

An obscure B-side. I've been digging through my collection of his singles, and this one stands out. There's a tortured creepiness about it, which was sort of his trademark. Pitney was the 1960s' Morrissey.

----



The Third Booth - "I Need Love" Independence - 1967



The greatest 45 ever made - this makes me feel glad to be alive every time I hear it. Everything can be found here: Ramones, Spacemen 3, BJM... you name it. Not particularly original or competent, because it doesn't need to be (like all great rock music). The only reason for its exclusion from the Nuggets series must be that it would have rendered all the other tracks unnecessary.

No comments: