Thursday, August 31, 2006

a few Van Morrison B-sides


a birthday post for Mr. Van Morrison:



"Mechanical Bliss" - B-side of "Joyous Sound"; Warner Bros. - 1977

A pretty rare track, from an album of the same name - recorded in '75 or thereabouts - that never was released. Too bad, I liked it way better than the A-side.

----



"It's All In The Game" - B-side of "Cleaning Windows"; Mercury (U.K.) - 1979

Essentially the first half of the medley with "You Know What They're Writing About" (from Into The Music), this is Van's cover of the '50s Tommy Edwards hit. It's one of Van's finest moments on record (my opinion), and I prefer to listen to it the way it is on this single. I actually heard this single played on a jukebox in some bar once, which was a very cool thing - I felt like I was in a movie or something.

No comments: