Julian Cope - "Sunspots" EP - Mercury (UK), 1985 ------
For starters, both bands came out of the late '70s Liverpool psychedelic scene (in fact, both frontmen started in the same band). More specifically, both bands released very strange double-EPs - disguised as singles - within a year of each other. Cope's remixed "Sunspots" - from 1984's Fried - is added to three LP outtakes. Most notable is the eccentric "I Went On A Chourney": a minimalist techno ditty with found dialog (Julian himself?). Echo and The Bunnymen's "Seven Seas" (from the Ocean Rain LP) is joined with four tracks described as "Recorded live at Liverpool Cathedral for the programme 'Play At Home'", a rather loosely played, unplugged batch of tracks. The performances are hit-or-miss, but I do enjoy the grooved out Donovan-style "Villiers Terrace", and their reading of "All You Need Is Love" is more fun than you'd expect.
1 comment:
Thanks for this! I was just listening to crocodiles and the teardrops piano compilation and was looking around to see if anyone had written anything about the liverpool psychedelia of this time and came across your blog. These two eps fit nicely together.
Best
wm
Post a Comment