United Artists UP35381, 1972
I first heard this song in Skipper's Music Store - 1972 is my guess - but I didn't know who it was. I distinctly remember seeing Black Sabbath's Vol. 4 put up on the "now playing" display and assuming that was what I was listening to. I didn't think too much about it then but the song would come back to me afterward - become stuck in my head.
Long story short - many clueless store clerks later, Black Sabbath LPs purchased in vain... a quest that continued for years. A song with something about something machine. The trail ran cold, decades go by...
--
Earlier this year my son sent this record to me to rip to mp3 for him, which he won on eBay. We've both been getting into some early Hawkwind lately, and this 45 sort of slipped through the cracks of their original discography so he was especially keen to hear it.
Anyway, it was one of those weird moments, putting this 45 on. It just started with a weird premonition on the song's fade in. By the first chorus, it all came back. I was back at Skipper's Music, and it all makes sense. That song that was stuck in my head all these years. Hawkwind. Of course.
Skipper's Music always had a great selection of Krautrock, Space Rock and various European ephemera. Can, Guru Guru, Neu etc... I was familiar with all those names and corresponding album covers back then, just from browsing through that store's inventory (though admittedly my 12 year old musical tastes didn't catch up until long after). Totally missed this one, though.
No comments:
Post a Comment