Wednesday, September 02, 2009

The Bee Gees - I've Gotta Get A Message To You


Atco 6603, 1968
 
A huge song, a huge hit - and essentially the end of their run of great '60s pop singles (besides "I Started A Joke", which was not released as a single in the UK for some reason).

This is different from the LP/CD version: slightly longer, different vocal (in parts), and the orchestra is buried in the mix until the final chorus.

2 comments:

xrey® said...

I read a story about this single on some .edu site where they posted info about Robert Stigwood not liking the sessions for this song, and after a break, insisted the BeeGees go back to the studio at 3am and re-cut this. The rest is history. (side note: this is very rare on CD in any form, and this mix only exists in *stereo* on their 4-CD box set from the 90's. The "deluxe" version of the "IDEA" CD only has the mono mix.)

xrey® said...

something else I remembered: I wanted to make a "fake stereo" synced mix from the ATCO gold-label oldies series for my car listening. I tried to use 2 pressings: one from "PL", and the other from "SP"(Specialty). One of them is sped up 2 or 3%, so it made it impossible to sync them in 1974 or so without vari-speed turntables (which would become popular with clubs later in the decade)