Sunday, August 09, 2009

Eric Burdon & The Animals - Sky Pilot (Parts 1 & 2)


MGM Records K13939, 1968
 
This is the radio version, which I think had a lot more work put into it. Aside from the freaky echo effect on "How high can you fly?", the drums stay in the mix during the middle sonic collage part. The transitions seem to work better, compared to the choppier, bland LP mix (an earlier mix, perhaps?). Plus, the single has some spooky bagpipes at the end.

I'm fairly certain this was the first stereo 45 I ever owned. Lots of cool panning effects during the middle part. As a kid, I loved playing this one on my GE Wildkat stereo and reveling in the total stereo experience (the distressed condition of this record reminds me of this - sorry about that. I'd love to track down a better copy someday).



I have yet to find this version on any CD compilation. The recent remaster of The Twain Shall Meet claims to contain the single version, but don't waste your money - it's just the album mix, folded to mono and cut into two parts.

1 comment:

Jerry C. said...

In case you've not come across it since you posted this, the mono single mix of "Sky Pilot (Part One)" was included on Shout Factory's The '60s Rock Experience 3-CD compilation, released in 2005.