Dunhill 4084, 1967
A recent score - it's pretty hard to find an original copy (with the radio mix) in good shape these days.
This single marks the beginning of the band's v2.0 phase (Creed's debut on lead guitar, P.F. Sloan and Steve Barry moving on to just producing). For '60s pop, this is about as close to perfect as it gets.
Brilliant use of minor chords in the chorus.
3 comments:
Sid - I've been enjoying your "back pages" and wanted to say thanks! Clearly, there are forgotten gems in the grooves of scarce 45's that have escaped the attention of otherwise attentive fans. The version of "Substitute" (link now expired) is fantastic; I'm astounded to hear the "I Am The Walrus" single mix; Et cetera. Most of these seem to clean up pretty well, too. (I hope I'm not disappointed when I get around to listening through better equipment than these crappy computer speakers.) Bookmarked!
Notice there's no composer credit under the title? only "Dick James Music" in the upper left of the label). Here's the story from Wikipedia:
"...they had their first Top 10 hit in the summer of 1967 with "Let's Live for Today", an English-language cover version of "Piangi con me", a 1966 hit for the Anglo-Italian quartet The Rokes."
So I wonder if the Rokes got screwed out of their royalties like so many other composers?
another point: this is the "clean radio version" because the folks at powerhouse KLIF 1190 pulled the song because of the line "I've got to feel you inside of me". It was replaced at their behest with "I've got to feel you beside of me" so it would get more airplay in bible-belt Texas and other markets.
Post a Comment